If you're reading this, then you probably already know that jaw pain after a car accident is no joke. It can be really tough to deal with, especially if you're trying to take care of kids and manage a household at the same time. Here are five tips that might help you get through the day a little bit easier.
1. Go for a TMJ massage. Many massage therapists are trained to work with the TMJ. Really tight muscles can lead to excess clenching, especially when asleep. A massage therapist can help to calm down irritated muscles and reduce TMJ tension.
2. Put ice on your jaw for 15-20 minutes at a time, several times a day. This will also help with pain and swelling. Always wrap the ice in a dishcloth or towel before placing against your skin.
3. Try to eat soft foods that don't require a lot of chewing. Think soup, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, etc.
4. Talk to your doctor about getting a mouth guard or splint to wear at night. This can help prevent your teeth from grinding together, which can exacerbate the pain.
5. Seek chiropractic care for whiplash recovery. If you were in a car accident, it's quite likely you're dealing with whiplash. Whiplash is when you head quickly snaps in one direction, then just as quickly rebounds in the opposite direction. Whiplash symptoms can be felt in the neck, shoulders, upper back, and yes, even in the jaw.
Dealing with jaw pain after a car accident is no fun, but hopefully these tips will help make it a little bit easier for you. Remember to listen to your body and give yourself time to heal. Even if you did not sustain any other injuries, a chiropractic assessment is a great idea as your chiropractor can help you correct spinal misalignments that you might not even know are there.
If you've been in a car accidently recently, we'd be happy to help bring you back to healthy!